Friday 22 July 2011

Great Day - The Malaysian Movie.

Yeap, today I'm blogging about a local movie called Great Day.
(天天好天)

I watched this movie last night at home alongside with my mum, god brother, boyfriend, and I. 

Spoiler alert : Do NOT scroll down if you do not wish to be "spoiled"


Synopsis of the movie :
Two fathers, Uncle Lim and Uncle Lam live in an old folks' home. Uncle Lim is Hokkien while Uncle Lam is Cantonese. Apart from integral differences of different dialects, (e.g. fighting over Wah Lai Toi and Hua Hee Tai), they always argue about whose children has done better and how filial piety they have been.

While Uncle Lim thinks he may have gotten cancer and don't have much opportunities to see his children again, and aggravated by an argument, the two men decided to escape from the old folks' home to find their children and bring back evidence so the rest of their friends can judge whose children is better. While trying to escape, Uncle Lam hurt his leg leaving Uncle Lim to continue his journey alone. 

Ah Hock is a widower who treasures family relationship very well, when he has free time, he will bring his son Ah Boy to KL to visit Ah Hock's mother who lives with his cousin Liu Duo Hao and needs a better medical treatment as she is becoming more and more forgetful. 

With help from Ah Hock, Uncle Lim reached KL but surprised to find that it is now an unfamiliar territory. Uncle Lim has a son and a daughter. They are both facing problems of their own, but had gone to great lengths in trying to hide them from their father and make their father proud of how well they are doing at the same time. 

Together with Ah Hock and his friend Ultraman, Uncle Lim meets Lam Xiao Xun, whom he thinks he's Uncle Lam's son. Lam Xiao Xun however keeps insisting that his father is dead. But after being touched Uncle Lim and Ah Hock about the importance of family relationship, he decided to follow them to the old folks' home all the way back in Perlis. 

The movie ends at the old folks' home with the gathering of everyone. But is Lam Xiao Xun really not Uncle Lam's son?

Movie Review :

Have you realized that I've been using green words for this blog post? :P Haha cut the crap fro now, let's continue with the comments of the movie.

Aside from being really surprised with the talents of Malaysian actors and actresses, the storyline was basically problems that we would normally face in the real society. Great Day reminds us to respect our elders and also to treasure your family members. Aside from family members, the movie emphasizes on human relationships a lot. 

When I was watching the movie, I couldn't help but thought of my father who was living far away from me. No, he's not in old folks' home but he is living alone. Perhaps if he was living in old folks' home he would have more partner, but it would be cruel too. To come and think of it, isn't loneliness even more cruel? You must be thinking why didn't I live with my father. Simple. My parents are divorced and my custody belongs to my mother. I'm not financially supported myself to take care of my father but once I am I will. Not only has this movie made me missed my father a whole lot more, but also reminded me that I should not let him be lonely for the rest of his life.

In the movie, Uncle Lim really reminds me of my father a lot. He cooks for the family, cares for the children and grandchildren. Although he nags and loves to make a lot of fuss with his friends, he is actually very caring and concerned for their feelings. There was a scene in the movie where his little granddaughter, Joey (yes same name with me lol) went all the way to Perlis just to see her grandfather. It may sound simple and somehow corny to you with words but as I watched it, tears glistened in my eyes and eventually flew down my cheeks.

It's a great movie to watch and a lot of morals could be picked up, so make sure let your children watch it instead LOL. 

This is one of the best Malaysian movies that I've ever watched and I must admit that the standard of the movie is quite high.

Here are some of the pictures from the movie adapted from the website : www.greatdaythemovie.blogspot.com


The entire crew of the movie. :) Ohh heartfelt.

Batu Caves' scene. Boosting tourism much :p

The old folks' home scene. 

Rainy day, cloudy day, windy day.. it's still GREAT DAY.

Movie rating : 8.5/10






No comments:

Post a Comment